Epsom Salt - Reducing Foot & Ankle Pain



If you suffer from foot or ankle pain, Epsom salt might be your new best friend!

I've been experiencing a lot of pain on my right foot & ankle due to my leg length discrepancy.  Because my right leg is shorter than my left leg, my right foot and ankle take on a lot of pressure, which causes swelling.  While I start to slowly relieve the pressure on my right ankle through proper shoes (ballet flats do not count!), shoes inserts, and a heel lift, my ankle still swells up if I walk too much or bear weight on the right foot.  Two weeks ago, my ankle started swelling up half way through yoga class because I was putting weight on my ankle in simple yoga stances such as warrior 1 and warrior 2.  My foot doctor said my right ankle is extremely weak because I had sprained my ankle in the past but did not get properly treated for it and that my leg length discrepancy had made it worse.  My podiatrist has instructed me to wear an ankle brace when I'm not wearing my "special" sneakers, practice feet stretches, and soak my feet & ankle in Epsom salt & warm water for 20 minutes at night.

It's my first day soaking my feet and ankle in Epsom salt and it feels very nice!  Not only does it reducing the swelling, but my feet feels very relaxed, soft, and smooth.  It beats taking anti-inflammatory medication. 

You don't need an injury to soak your foot in Epsom salt and warm water.  You can give your aching feet a treat after running, a concert, standing at work all day, or just cause!  Check the "warnings" on the package before you use it. 

How to soak your feet & ankles in Epsom Salt
I bought 4 lb of Epsom salt for $3.00 at Target.  You can find it at most stores in the pain relief section.

  1. pour 1 gallon of warm water into a bucket - make sure it fully covers your ankle
  2. pour 1 cup of Epsom salt into the bucket of warm water 
  3. mix the salt & water with your hands - make sure the salt dissolves into the water
  4. soak your feet into the Epsom salt water for 20 minutes at night 
  5. Don't throw the Epsom salt water away!  Re-use it!
    • It can get kind of pricey since you are using 1 cup of Epsom salt.  
    • To save $$$, my foot doctor told me I can discard half of the Epsom salt water mix and add 1/2 a cup of Epsom salt and 1/2 a gallon of new water for the next day.  You can reuse it up to 3-4 days.  Make sure your foot is clean before you soak it! 

How it works....
Excess fluid in the tissues of the body causes swelling. Ankle injury results in swelling, and reducing the swelling of the ankle will reduce the pain.

Epsom salt
baths help reduce the swelling because the concentration of salt in the water is higher than that inside the body. Osmosis causes the excess fluid in the ankle to flow out of the skin and into the salt water, reducing the swelling. The goal is to equalize the osmolarity of the fluid inside the ankle and the salt water surrounding the ankle.



http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/epsom-uses-benefits.asp

What is Epsom salt?

Epsom Salt Epsom salt, named for a bitter saline spring at Epsom in Surrey, England, is not actually salt but a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. Long known as a natural remedy for a number of ailments, Epsom salt has numerous health benefits as well as many beauty, household and gardening-related uses.
Studies have shown that magnesium and sulfate are both readily absorbed through the skin, making Epsom salt baths an easy and ideal way to enjoy the amazing health benefits. Magnesium plays a number of roles in the body including regulating the activity of over 325 enzymes, reducing inflammation, helping muscle and nerve function and helping to prevent artery hardening. Sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients, flush toxins and help ease migraine headaches.

What are the health benefits of using Epsom salt?

The wonders of Epsom salt have been well known for hundreds of years and unlike other salts, Epsom salt has beneficial properties that can soothe the body, mind and soul. Some of the countless health benefits include relaxing the nervous system, curing skin problems, soothing back pain and aching limbs, easing muscle strain, healing cuts, treating cold and congestion, and drawing toxins from the body. One of the simplest ways to ease stress and stress-related problems is to soak in a tub full of hot water with a few cups of Ultra Epsom® Salt. Some of the magical benefits of Epsom salt include:

Eases stress and relaxes the body

Stress drains the body of magnesium and increases levels of adrenaline. When dissolved in warm water, Epsom salt is absorbed through the skin and replenishes the level of magnesium in the body. The magnesium helps to produce serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of calm and relaxation. Research shows that magnesium also increases energy and stamina by encouraging the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy packets made in the cells. Experts believe that bathing with Epsom salt at least three times a week helps you to look better, feel better and gain more energy. Magnesium ions also relax and reduce irritability by lowering the effects of adrenaline. They lower blood pressure, create a relaxed feeling, improve sleep and concentration, and help muscles and nerves to function properly.

Relieves pain and muscle cramps

An Epsom salt bath is known to ease pain and relieve inflammation, making it beneficial in the treatment of sore muscles, bronchial asthma and migraine headaches. In addition, it has been known to heal cuts and reduce soreness from childbirth. Mix a thick paste of Epsom salt with hot water and apply to get soothing comfort. Try soaking your aching, tired (and smelly) feet in a tub of water with half a cup of our Ultra Epsom Salt. Epsom salt softens skin and will even neutralize foot odor.



Comments

  1. Hi this one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff and is very much useful for me.
    pain clinics in nashville tn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ankle joint is the meeting of the bones of the leg and the foot and is responsible for the up and down motion of the foot. In popular usage, the ankle is often considered to be the ankle joint plus the surrounding anatomic region, including the lower end of the leg and the start of the flat part of the foot. Pain in the ankle can result from inflammation or injury to any of the structures in this region, including the bones, joint space, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, or muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dump my used epsom salt water on my tomato plants and hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dump my used epsom salt water on my tomato plants and hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice article I am using Epsom salt to soak foot because my feet often swell. So this is not only tested but also an effective treatment to cure the swelling of foot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found reusing a IKEA gallon cook pot to mildly reheat my Epsom solution for a week gives me weeks worth of 1.5 cup Epsom in a pan of reheated solution works great. I do twice a day 30 min soaks and is safe and effective. So far so good. 95% pain gone and holding. I would probably be 100% pain free if I'd stop running the dogs...but...no can do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TMJ Tiff - My Story

Healing Is Not A Linear Process - 500 Steps Forward, 1,000 Steps Back?